(From left to right: Awards designed by Adam Meyrick, Ross Bennet, and Joel Matthews)
This year, we’ve launched a competition to design the Award for the 2020 Creative Bath Awards! This is open to everyone – students, designers, artists – anyone with creative flair and some product durability know-how.
The Creative Bath Awards made its debut in 2017 and was the first ever public celebration of the exceptional quality found throughout the creative sector in the Bath area. The Awards had since grown from strength to strength, cementing our belief that the creative sector deserves its own recognition! This year at our fourth annual Awards ceremony, we’re aiming to make the ceremony and after-party even more amazing. Any creative, tech or cultural company/individual/student can enter the awards for free, and will be judged independently by a specially-selected panel of Judges. Winners will be announced on the night and then showcased on the Creative Bath website at its events and in all forms of marketing from June. The Awards will also be featured in Bath Life. Winners receive a trophy by our design competition winner. There will be 21 awards covering the following categories, plus a single ACE AWARD for the overall best winner:
• ACE (winner of winners) • Agency • App • Architect and Build • Art • Creative Arts Organisation • Creative Bath Student • Creative Space • Creativity for Good • Designer • Film, TV & Video • Founder Entrepreneur • Innovation Award • Inspiration (Sue East) • Performance (Dance, Music Theatre) • Maker • Marketing Campaign • Photography • Publisher & • Startup • Writer • Website • Young Creative
The award is about celebrating the diversity and quality of the creative industries in Bath, so we will be seeking work that actively reflects this. We are open to how you choose to interpret Bath’s creativity in terms of media and technique but there are a few must-haves:
1. It should be a three-dimensional object made from any material, but should be fairly sturdy and not fragile enough to break easily
2. Space should be left somewhere on the award for the winner’s name, category and year of issue to be inscribed/engraved/added on
3. It should be no larger than 30cm squared and no smaller than 15cm squared – i.e it should fit comfortably in your hands
4. If colour is included in the design, it should incorporate the Creative Bath blue, Pantone 298 5.
The ACE AWARD needs in some way to differentiate from the other categories (it must stand out as a different award – either through colour, shape or material) The end result must be 21 identical Category Awards (with room left for winners’ names) PLUS one ACE Award which is different in some way – this Award goes to the best-of-the-best, the winner of winners.
Creative Bath will be responsible for the production of the Awards but the budget for production of all 22 of the Awards should be no more than £1,100 including VAT so factor this into your submission.
No more than 1000 words describing what your idea is, colour/s, textures and the material/s you’d use. An A4 mock-up of your design which can be drawn and scanned in, or created digitally. Applications should be email to Vicki Cheadle.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to create a mock-up of their design in a creative way, and present via Zoom, to three judges from Creative Bath.
Deadline for stage one submissions: Thursday 23rd April
Date of stage two presentations by shorlisted applicants: Wednesday 27th May
The prize for the winning design is £200.
The successful designer (and a plus one) will be invited to the Sponsors’ and Finalists’ Reception on 14th July, and the Creative Bath Awards & Summer Party on 27th August.
If you have any questions about this competition please contact Vicki Cheadle.